AGI-Shorewood set to shut Swindon site

Hannah Jordan
Thursday, February 7, 2013

Global consumer packaging firm AGI-Shorewood is set to close its Swindon site, potentially putting around 80 jobs at risk.

The firm declined to comment, but PrintWeek understands that a 30-day consultation ended last week, although a closure date for the facility has yet to be decided.

It is understood that an unspecified number of staff have been offered roles at AGI’s plant in Slough.

The closure of the Swindon site, which specialises in producing high-end CD and DVD packaging, follows the closure 12 months ago of AGI’s Ebbw Vale, South Wales plant with work being transferred to the company’s remaining UK sites.

Created in January 2012 from the merger of global packaging firms AGI World and US-based Shorewood Packaging, AGI-Shorewood employs around 4,000 people worldwide with 24 manufacturing sites across the Americas, Europe and Asia.

Under the terms of the merger, AGI’s owner, private equity house Atlas Holdings, acquired 100% of the combined AGI-Shorewood in the US and 60% of its overseas business, while International Paper, Shorewood Packaging’s parent company, took over the remaining 40% interest in AGI-Shorewood outside the US.


LATEST COMMENTS ON PRINTWEEK

© MA Business Limited 2021. Published by MA Business Limited, St Jude's Church, Dulwich Road, London, SE24 0PB, a company registered in England and Wales no. 06779864. MA Business is part of the Mark Allen Group .