Police raid London printer as part of 'largest ever illegal DVD operation'
By Helen Morris Tuesday, 07 April 2009
Wembley-based commercial printer BDP (UK) has been raided by police investigating its alleged involvement in what is being termed the "largest ever illegal DVD manufacturing operation in the UK".
A "significant number of printing plates" were seized in the raid, according to a City of London Police spokesman.
The spokesman said the plates were allegedly involved in the production of printed covers for counterfeit DVDs, including recent hit films such as Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Four people were arrested in connection with the production, distribution of counterfeit DVD covers and money laundering. They have since been released on police bail, it is not currently clear if they are employees of the company.
BDP (UK), which is located in Ironbridge Business Park, has not returned PrintWeek's calls.
FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) alleged that the commercial business has printed millions of covers over the past year.
The operation followed what is thought to be a related raid at a DVD-making factory in Southall, West London in February. This resulted in the arrest of five people and the seizure of large quantities of copying equipment and discs.
City of London Police detective chief inspector Dave Service said: "This operation provides further evidence of the scale of the organised criminal networks involved in DVD counterfeiting and how big a problem it has become."
Kieron Sharp, FACT director general, said the factory in Southall could have been capable of generating a criminal profit in excess of £1m per week.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Development Manager Key Recruitment Upto £60k dep on exp, London
- Senior Account Manager (POS/Retail) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £35000 - £39000 + benefits, Central London
- Print / Direct Mail - West Midlands asg £60,000 + Bonus + Benefits, West Midlands
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT + excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Client Services Director - UK asg Up to £110,000 + bonus, car & executive benefits, UK