DC Thompson refutes Premier takeover claims
By Tim Sheahan Tuesday, 12 August 2008
A spokesperson for DC Thompson has denied allegations that the company plans to take an interest Glasgow newspaper company Premier Publishing.
According to news site The Drum, DC Thomson was said to have acquired a share in the newspaper publisher, a move that was expected to result in the closure of several of Premier's local titles.
DC Thomson has denied these claims to printweek.com. It said: "We have not acquired Premier Publishing, nor do we have shares in them. We print for the company and are creditors to them."
The supposed deal was said to be part of an agreement to offset Premier's debts to DC Thomson for print work the Beano publisher carried out on its behalf.
The Drum also claimed the deal would result in Premier Publishing, which produces six local Glasgow titles, upping production on its Southside News title from fortnightly to weekly.
The West End News, City Centre News and the Northside News were apparently likely to close as part of the company's plans. DC Thomson denied this.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Development Manager Key Recruitment Upto £60k dep on exp, London
- Senior Account Manager (POS/Retail) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £35000 - £39000 + benefits, Central London
- Print / Direct Mail - West Midlands asg £60,000 + Bonus + Benefits, West Midlands
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT + excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Client Services Director - UK asg Up to £110,000 + bonus, car & executive benefits, UK