Book printer Walsworth Publishing to acquire Ovid Bell Press
By David Ward, San Diego Thursday, 13 December 2012
Though the deal has yet to be finalized, Marceline, MO-based Walsworth Publishing has tentatively agreed to buy magazine and journal printer Ovid Bell Press of Fulton, MO for an undisclosed sum.
Walsworth marketing and communications VP Alex Blackwell, told PrintWeek, "We’ve entered into an agreement to purchase Ovid Bell, but the acquisition has not gone through. The estimated close date is December 31 of this year."
Blackwell said he could not comment on how Ovid Bell will be integrated into Walsworth until the deal was completed, but added: "We’re excited about the opportunity to acquire Ovid Bell Press and right now we’re heads down going through the due diligence process to make sure it’s the right fit for all parties."
Ovid Bell CEO John Bell was the first to break the news, issuing a press release announcing the purchase agreement and adding that he would remain on as head of Ovid Bell’s operations upon completion of the deal.
Ovid Bell’s Fulton plant features heat-set web presses for the bulk of its periodical work, including in-line UV coating, with back-up sheet-fed presses for inserts and other ancillary projects.
"Under this new ownership, The Ovid Bell Press will be able to grow faster and offer our clients added benefits," Bell noted. "All sales and customer service representative assignments will remain the same. All pricing and contracts currently being used will stay intact.
"All paper stocks currently used will continue to be used in the production of your publication. Production schedules will remain the same and invoices will still be generated from The Ovid Bell Press."
Walsworth was founded in 1937 and currently employs 1,250 people. The company is the only American- and family-owned publisher of yearbooks, while also producing trade, association and specialty magazines as well as business-to-business and business-to-consumer catalogs.
In addition to its printing and binding facilities in Marceline, Walsworth also has a prepress facility in Brookfield, Mo., a sales and marketing office in Kansas City, Mo., and a printing facility in Saint Joseph, Mich. The Donning Company Publishers in Virginia Beach, Va., a specialty book publisher, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Walsworth.Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, company car, phone, lap top , London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- Sales Executive Image Evolution Ltd Attractive remuneration plus car or car allowance, Berkshire
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- HP Indigo users team up for mammoth Coca-Cola task
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Konica Minolta aims to add value with web-to-print deal
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Konica Minolta makes progress with B2 inkjet