APS delivers online colour swatch service
By Ben Bold Tuesday, 11 September 2012
Slough-based All Print Suppliers (APS) has developed a free-to-use online colour swatch enabling signmakers to match a coated pantone number to a self-adhesive colour vinyl.
The digital swatch, which will be followed by the launch of a physical version retailing at £40, is available on the APS website, where sign and display printers can enter a pantone code.
They will be presented with a product code for the best-available vinyl match, a quality star-rating, a description of the film, adhesive and its outdoor performance. Users can order a sample, which will be delivered the next working day.
The Vinyl Colour Formula Guide’s rating system ranges from one star for a fair-to-poor match, to three stars for an excellent-to-good match.
APS said that it estimates 2,000 hours have been invested in developing the service.
APS managing director Kevin Wallace said: "This has never been done before and, until now, signmakers trying to match colours for vinyl lettering and displays would need a colour swatch from each manufacturer in every range.
"That could be up to 30 swatches, which they would then have to go through manually to find the nearest standard vinyl shade to the pantone number.
"A near impossible task and entirely dependant on the signmaker having a good eye for colour; and even with a strong understanding of colour, generally the match would be made under ambient lighting conditions, which can be very misleading."
Rather than relying on human colour perception, the system was designed by measuring every pantone colour and vinyl colour with a high-speed spectrophotometer, which compared the Delta E colour difference (distance between the two colours in three-dimensional colour space).
This was used as the basis of a visual colour match conducted by two colour technicians in a pantone viewing laboratory.Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, company car, phone, lap top , London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Konica Minolta makes progress with B2 inkjet
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Wyndeham extends major print contract
- UK launch for Exaprint W2P service