Print Farm opts for Komori LSX-529
By David Ward, San Diego Thursday, 26 July 2012
The purchase follows more than a decade of double-digit annual growth for the Doral, FL print company.
The Komori B2+ Lithrone SX-529 acquisition comes as Print Farm looks set to shift from being a boutique operation into a major player in the south Florida commercial printing market.
"We’re a local printer but we want to be able to service clients nationwide," Print Farm President Albert Alvarez explained to PrintWeek. "With this press I can now compete against the bigger shops. It’s a six-up press, so I can get a lot of the work that people put on a 40-inch."
Print Farm already had one Komori press and while he looked at other press manufacturers, Alvarez said he was impressed by both the press and the service Komori provided.
The company’s new five colour LS-29 can produce up with 16,000 impressions per hour, enabling Print Farm to focus more on longer run work. It also features an inline coater, eliminating the need for a separate coating or varnish step.
One of Print Farm’s niches is academic printing, specifically colleges and universities, and its clients include the University of Miami. "The higher education business has been steady, these colleges aren’t going anywhere," Alvarez noted.
Print Farm has been growing steadily since its founding in 2000 and Alvarez suggested a key to the company’s success has been its focus on diverse mix of clients.
As part of that strategy, Alvarez said he as been looking to become a turn-key solution for both print and electronic communication. "I have web-to-print storefronts for several of my customers, where people can set up and design their own online catalogs, letterhead and business cards and have ready to print PDF files. I also do a lot of variable data work as well."
In a release announcing the sale, Komori America senior sales and marketing VP Jacki Hudmon said: "To stay competitive, every printer today needs to find ways to slice away at production costs.
"We are pleased that Print Farm is taking advantage of the streamlined automation capabilities of the LSX-529 press to meet its goals for increased time to market and a higher level of productivity."Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, company car, phone, lap top , London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Konica Minolta makes progress with B2 inkjet
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Wyndeham extends major print contract
- UK launch for Exaprint W2P service