Rupert Murdoch quits as News International director
By Pamela Mardle Thursday, 26 July 2012
News Corporation has announced that Murdoch stepped down from a number of its UK and US boards on Saturday 21 July.
He quit News International's (NI) three major publishing houses – News Corp Investments, News International Group and Times Newspaper Holdings.
NI would not confirm details of the US "small subsidiary boards" from which he had resigned.
A spokesperson for the media giant said that Murdoch would remain committed to his role as chief executive of entertainment and reduce his duties to chairman of the publishing business when the conglomerate splits.
She added: "Murdoch remains closely involved with the business."
In June, the company announced that it was to split its publishing operations from the film and television business, to be formed of broadcasters including US-based Fox News channel and the UK's BSKYB. HarperCollins will join titles such as The Sun and The Times in the newspaper and book publishing unit.
The spokesperson said: "Newspaper publishing is always going to be the main focus for News Corp. This is nothing more than a corporate housecleaning exercise prior to the company split."
NI recently pulled its titles from Johnston Press’ Portsmouth and Dinnington facilities in a £30m buy-out five years into a 15-year contract.
The spokesperson said: "The contract was terminated to enable News International to rearrange its contractual agreements and use its in-house capacity."Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London