Sun Chemical launches multi-purpose ink system
By Hannah Jordan Monday, 23 July 2012
The ink and consumables firm has developed a single ink system for use across a broad range of packaging applications.
Flexible packaging printers have historically needed to use multiple ink systems to meet specifications such as for surface printing with heat resistance, for PET lamination or for OPP lamination, but SunUno Solimax can meet all of those uses, reducing the number of ink systems needed by the printer.
Solimax, which consists of a range of colour formulations, can be used in both flexo and gravure print processes and is specifically intended for surface printing and adhesive lamination for various end-use applications such as lidding materials, medical laminates and food packaging. It is compatible with both solvent free and solvent based lamination systems.
According to Sun Chemical the product reduces production plant complexity and operational costs because it requires less press returns and less cleaning time.
Sun Chemical European product manager Colin Smith said Solimax was developed to meet a market need and trend: "In western Europe generally print run lengths are decreasing but technical demands in terms of either regulatory or package performance are increasing. This gives an increasingly difficult situation for the printer to manage and operate efficiently.
"With a one-system approach the entire process is simplified. Only one system needs monitoring for regulatory, compliance issues etc, only one system needs assessing for worker safety," he added.
"This is an important tool in the company’s drive to help customers educe complexity and improve efficiency."
Sun Chemical customer Bemis Elsham headquartered in Brigg, North Lincolnshire has been testing SunUno Solimax since the beginning of 2012.
Print manager Jim O’Donnell said the firm, which currently runs on a two ink system, would switch to the single ink Solimax system by the end of the year. "Not only will we significantly improve our environmental positioning with the multi-purpose system, we will also increase our efficiency and productivity which will ultimately improve our bottom line," he added. Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Sales (POS/Display) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd Basic £30-50k + car + commission, Midlands/South
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT, excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Senior Estimator - East Midlands Blayze Unguem £Negotiable salary depending on ability, plus excellent benefits package, East Midlands
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- HP Indigo users team up for mammoth Coca-Cola task
- Konica Minolta aims to add value with web-to-print deal
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Standard Bank contract a "monster job" for BMC