Press on Digital Imaging invests in HP Scitex LX850
By Tim Sheahan Wednesday, 11 July 2012
It is PODI's second HP Scitex LX850 Industrial Printer installation in under a year due to its burgeoning vehicle-wrapping and window display workload.
The Rochester, Kent-based business made its investment with HP dealer CWE Solutions in a bid to help boost production and capacity at the 12-year-old firm.
PODI director Andrew Wilson said the 3.2m machine's dual roll capabilities coupled with latex ink printing output were key factors in the decision to reinvest.
He said: "We undertake a tremendous amount of promotional work using self-adhesive vinyl, including a very large contract to produce high-quality livery for wrapping London taxis, which demands extremely fast turnarounds.
"With printers that run solvent ink, the solvent remains in the vinyl and requires a 24-hour gassing-off period. This waiting time is completely eliminated with the latex printer, such that we can finish the vinyl the minute it comes off the machine."
The HP Scitex LX850, which complements the company's three other Latex HP machines, can print at 1,200dpi and, according to Wilson, can meet the exacting demands of the firm's client base.
He added: "Although some UV machines might be faster, they quickly fall down in terms of their suitably for vehicle applications, so it's about fulfilling all criteria – not just one.
"Projects undertaken on behalf of prestige brands involve an increased element of stringent, close-visual inspection. The high expectation for quality means that we would rapidly lose business if we compromised for a second."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Development Manager Key Recruitment Upto £60k dep on exp, London
- Senior Account Manager (POS/Retail) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £35000 - £39000 + benefits, Central London
- Print / Direct Mail - West Midlands asg £60,000 + Bonus + Benefits, West Midlands
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT + excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Client Services Director - UK asg Up to £110,000 + bonus, car & executive benefits, UK