Jumbo Lotto-scratchcard to celebrate biggest jackpot yet
By Pamela Mardle Monday, 09 July 2012
The National Lottery commissioned marketing agency Communisis to create a world-record-breaking jumbo scratchcard to promote the launch of its new scratchcard, which offers the biggest ever jackpot of £4m.
What did the job entail?
Communisis worked with promotional games specialist and printer IGI Europrint to create the replica scratchcard, which stands at 14mx6m - 500 times bigger than the real thing. Fourteen print sections were applied to mounted board and displayed at the White Rose Shopping Centre in Leeds. Adam Catterall of the National Lottery TV adverts and Neil Fingleton, the tallest man in Europe at 2.1m, unveiled the scratchcard. Fingleton used a cherry picker to reach the scratch panel and reveal the symbols using a specially designed giant coin.
How was it produced?
Communisis and IGI Europrint based the design on the original-sized scratchcard, measuring 92mm by 107mm. The background artwork was magnified 500 times and printed on 14 1m x 6m long sections of 200gsm semi-gloss paper on a Mimaki JV33130 large format digital press at 1400 dpi. The top left hand panel, which formed the gaming part of the scratchcard, was printed on a Roland litho B1 press, overlaid with 12 B1 sheets of scratch off latex using a Sakurai silk screen machine and over-printed using four colours on the Roland machine.
What challenges were overcome?
Europrint promotions sales executive Wayne Fyles said: "It was very difficult to print full four-colour over rubber-based latex but we managed it. The technique was used after we screen printed the latex but I am not going to say what we did as I don’t want to give our solution away!"
What was the feedback?
A National Lottery Scratchcards spokesperson said: "We wanted to do something really fun to mark the launch of the £4 Million Scratchcard so we have created our biggest-ever replica card. And at 14 metres tall it is the size of a two-storey house and bigger than the current world-record holder for the biggest ever scratchcard."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London