UK eco-friendly packaging firm Greenbottle launches paper juice carton.
Monday, 02 July 2012
The Merseyside-based manufacturer is in early discussions with a major retailer to supply biodegradable paper juice cartons.
According to Greenbottle, the packaging – which will be marketed for use with liquids such as detergents, soups and juices – has a 23% lower carbon output than its laminated equivalents and has been developed to help reduce the number of containers being sent to landfill.
It follows the launch last month of Greenbottle’s paper wine bottle, which could be in supermarkets by the end of the year, and last year’s introduction of the paper milk bottle – already on sale in Asda.
Similar to Greenbottle’s other offerings the new cartons are made from a cartonboard exterior with a thin, removable plastic lining. The outer casings are produced using the firm’s patented thermoformed pulp moulding process and can be labelled, embossed or printed onto directly at the firm’s St. Helen’s-based plant.
Chairman Paul Bateman said: "We have created not only an environmentally friendly packaging concept, but also a versatile, robust and commercially viable one.
"Creating a process that does the packaging justice was a serious challenge. The downfall of many a great green product is the process used to create it and we’ve cracked it."
GreenBottle inventor Martin Myerscough said the packaging industry was an area in sustainability in desperate need of reform and he hoped the firm’s product would revolutionise the industry.
"We really believe that this kind of innovation can make a global difference to our environment and our future," he added.Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Sales (POS/Display) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd Basic £30-50k + car + commission, Midlands/South
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT, excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Senior Estimator - East Midlands Blayze Unguem £Negotiable salary depending on ability, plus excellent benefits package, East Midlands
- 'No printer wants a Vistaprint customer'
- 'All you high flyers, ignore the cliff edge at your peril'
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- HP Indigo users team up for mammoth Coca-Cola task
- Konica Minolta aims to add value with web-to-print deal
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102