API Foils Europe still in dispute with employees
By Adam Hooker Thursday, 07 June 2012
Unite members at packaging specialist API Foils Europe have continued their strike action today, despite negotiations between the company and the union taking place.
Employees at the Livingston plant staged a 24-hour walkout a fortnight ago over changes to terms and conditions, with a second walkout following last Friday.
A meeting took place on 31 May when managing director Will Oldham returned from a trip abroad, at which the company said that a number of issues were "discussed and agreement reached".
He said: "We are committed to working more closely with the union and the elected representatives for the site and, in particular, to following the collective bargaining process.
"We remain open to further discussions with the union and hope that a resolution will be found very soon, as we need to work together to address the significant changes this business must undergo in order to build a profitable platform for growth and investment."
However, Unite said that while there have been negotiations, the issue is far from over and the company still doesn't understand why its employees are on strike.
Regional officer Gillian Mckay said: "I wouldn't say an agreement has been reached more of an understanding that there needs to be a meaningful discussion going forward.
"But they still haven't grasped the reason their employees are unhappy. They went out and talked to them on the picket line and sent letters to their home addresses, yet haven’t addressed any of the issues raised.
"They asked me why we are in dispute at the last meeting. I have asked them for information on the rational for the proposed changes and what those changes are; they haven't come back with anything. They are not listening."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Development Manager Key Recruitment Upto £60k dep on exp, London
- Senior Account Manager (POS/Retail) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £35000 - £39000 + benefits, Central London
- Print / Direct Mail - West Midlands asg £60,000 + Bonus + Benefits, West Midlands
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT + excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Client Services Director - UK asg Up to £110,000 + bonus, car & executive benefits, UK