CPI UK launches Quantum book line with special edition hardback
By Hannah Jordan Monday, 28 May 2012
Book printer CPI UK has produced its first trade title with fully integrated colour on its HP T350-powered book line, which it has dubbed "Quantum", marking the official launch of the machine in the UK.
The publication, a 272-page special edition hardback of author Philippa Gregory’s Changeling, has been digitally printed with full colour chapterhead illustrations and images integrated throughout the text instead of in a traditional plate form.
The Quantum, CPI Group’s sixth in Europe but first in colour, combines HP’s T350 inkjet web press with Magnum’s Flexbook finishing solution. It is capable of mono, two- and four-colour printing onto standard substrates with no pre-treatment.
CPI said the machine provided a more cost-effective solution for short-run, full colour digital book printing, such as special editions or academic publications, and would allow "a small percentage of spot and integrated colour to be produced at almost the same cost as a mono product."
CPI chief operating officer Ian Smith said the "unique offer" would benefit both trade and STMA publishers.
Publisher Simon and Schuster, who teamed up with CPI to produce the book, said the advent of the Quantum meant trade titles were no longer restricted by plate sections. Supply operations director David Hyde said: "This is a game changer for UK fiction publishing."Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, company car, phone, lap top , London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Konica Minolta makes progress with B2 inkjet
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Wyndeham extends major print contract
- UK launch for Exaprint W2P service