The Printed Word invests in Presstek 34DI digital offset press
By Tim Sheahan Tuesday, 25 October 2011
The Printed Word, has added to a recent investment in a Xerox 1000 digital press after installing a Presstek 34DI digital offset press in response to a growing demand for shorter run work.
The Billinghurst-based, £1.5m turnover business, which employs 15 staff, installed the 34DI machine as part of a shift to an all-digital operation.
David Pryer, who runs the company with his brother Rob, said: "We were being hard hit by the shift to shorter runs, particularly with runs of 5,000 or less, and we needed to respond to that."
The company’s latest investment complements its recent expansion programme that includes the installation of the Xerox 1000 digital press and a Casemaker 750A from Unibind.
Pryer said: "We had nothing perfectly suited to handling medium runs of high quality print. We looked at a DI press several years ago. It wasn’t the right time for us then, but I kept a close eye on the market.
"When our conventional litho and toner-based digital presses could no longer handle a significant volume of our mid-range work, we decided to make the investment."
In addition, the 34DI machine complements the firm's Presstek Dimension CTP system, both imaging chemistry-free plates.
"We knew the chemistry-free process well. Both our Dimension and the DI press produce top quality plates, and we don’t have the hassle of disposing of chemicals," he added.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London