Killer app: Hawthornes turns on the tap
Friday, 17 June 2011
Hawthornes has printed a 45pp case-bound brochure for luxury kitchen and bathroom product manufacturer Abode. The company used both litho and digital technologies to produce 400 copies of the brochure, which was used to launch a range of products at KBB London, a kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms trade show.
How was it produced? Amadeus silk was used for both the cover and inside pages. The cover was litho printed on a Heidelberg SM 102, while the pages were printed digitally on a Ricoh C720. Spot UV was also used on the cover. Tony Fellows, Hawthornes’ operation director, said: "The trickiest part was completing the job to the required standards in the time frame available."
What challenges were overcome? Abode had stipulated a case-bound book, but the company was only able to produce the photographic content one week in advance of KBB. Hawthornes also only received the order on a Thursday at the start of one of the many bank holiday weekends in the run-up to the show, making the deadline extra tough. "The main challenge was the extremely tight deadline, but we were able to turn it around", said Fellows.
What was the feedback? Abode managing director, Darren Holliday, said: "Being the difficult customer that I am, I was looking for the impossible and I needed the work turning around incredibly quickly. Hawthornes also had the added pressure of the brochure being needed for a large trade show that was starting within a matter of days. It was also technically complex, and having receipt of the photography so close to the show also took us to the limit."
- Killer app: Courting a loyal following
- Killer app: On a roll with budget scroll
- Killer app: Digital shines on Silver stock
- Killer app: Print preserves quiet scene
- Killer app: Fit for the best of the best
- Killer app: Taxi turned over to pirates
- Killer app: DIY print handbook lauded
- Newspaper filler or cereal killer?
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Sales (POS/Display) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd Basic £30-50k + car + commission, Midlands/South
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT, excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Senior Estimator - East Midlands Blayze Unguem £Negotiable salary depending on ability, plus excellent benefits package, East Midlands
- 'No printer wants a Vistaprint customer'
- 'All you high flyers, ignore the cliff edge at your peril'
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- HP Indigo users team up for mammoth Coca-Cola task
- Konica Minolta aims to add value with web-to-print deal
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102