Killer app: Put fluorescents on the map
Friday, 18 February 2011
Uckfield-based Pureprint Group helped Eye Magazine to wow its readership with its first ever seven-colour cover for this month's issue of the quarterly graphic design title, which was printed using CMYK plus three fluorescent spot colours (PMS 550, PMS 803 and PMS 806).
What was the project?
How was the job produced?
The covers, which featured a standard four-colour back page, with black plus the three spot colours on the front, were printed in a single pass on one of Pureprint’s Speedmasters. The text sections were printed on a range of stocks, including Regency Satin, Arctic Volume, Munken Print Extra Volume 15 and a yellow Solar paper.
What challenges were overcome?
The cover was difficult to proof as Eye’s digital proofs cannot replicate fluorescent colours. Esterson passed the sheets on press, comparing them with the original book to make sure the colours were correct. Initially the colours were correct, but the density of the halftone screens was not due to a problem interpreting the Illustrator file. Pureprint’s repro team manually adjusted the file and remade the fluorescent plates in order to match the original book.
What was the feedback?
According to Walters: unprecedented. "We have never had such feedback before," he said. "This was partly down to the print and partly down to the content. There is currently real interest in information design and our feature seems to have struck a chord."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- New Business Sales (POS/Display) Pyramid Consultancy Ltd Basic £30-50k + car + commission, Midlands/South
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- Large Format Digital Printer | Digital Print & POS | Cambridgeshire Mercury Search and Selection £16k-£22k + OT, excellent benefits package & 20 days' holiday allowance, Cambridgeshire
- Commercial Executive/Estimator, Large Format Digital - North West Blayze Unguem Fully negotiable depending on your ability, North West
- 'No printer wants a Vistaprint customer'
- 'All you high flyers, ignore the cliff edge at your peril'
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- HP Indigo users team up for mammoth Coca-Cola task
- Konica Minolta aims to add value with web-to-print deal
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102