Collins launches Atlas by Collins app
By Tom Allsop Wednesday, 31 October 2012
Collins has launched its first atlas app for the iPad and iPhone, Atlas by Collins, after a decrease in sales of printed atlases to adults.
Atlas by Collins costs £6.99 and includes seven globes with themes such as politics, energy and the environment that can be viewed using Apple’s pinch and scroll function.
Collins’ publishing manager Jethro Lennox said the company was still committed to publishing atlases in print but was interested in looking at ways to reach readers through other media.
"Our main focus will always be to respond to consumer requirements by pioneering advances in atlas publishing. That is why we are exploring the digital space at the moment," he added.
Despite the fall in sales of atlases among adults, Lennox said children’s atlas sales remained stable.
"The tangibility and sense of space and scale printed maps can provide is not as easy to convey on a digital platform. It seems children and parents still appreciate turning the atlas pages to put the world in context," he added.
Collins designed the app together with digital agency The Other Media, which also worked on collinsdictionary.com, the free online dictionary, which was launched in January.
The globes can be downloaded for use offline and include more than 200,000 locations, such as cities and landmarks. They will evolve to accompany changes in the real world.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London