Newsprinters secures Metro contract
By Pamela Mardle Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Newsprinters has been permanently appointed the Metro London contract after printing the paper on a temporary basis since previous printer Newsfax went into administration.
The contract comprises a run of 800,000 weekday copies of the national commuter newspaper. They will continue to be printed at Newsprinters’ Broxbourne site.
Unite national officer Steve Sibbald said at the time of Newsfax’s September 2012 demise that the union would fight to transfer its 60 union members in Rainham to Broxbourne under TUPE regulations should the contract be taken up by Newsprinters.
In light of Newsprinters being permanently awarded the contract, Sibbald said: "It will be happening but the legal process will take some time, so it will be several months before we know the outcome."
However, Newsprinters managing director Brian McGee said the company had "absorbed" production of the DMGT title into its current capacity and was not looking to recruit any further staff. He added that he was not aware of any ex-Newsfax staff being transferred to Newsprinters.
Due to confidentiality agreements, McGee declined to comment on whether Newsprinters had to bid for the contract.
He said: "We look forward to providing an excellent service to this prestigious title in the years ahead.
"It’s a sizeable contract, one of the biggest in the country, and we will go out there now looking for the next big opportunity."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, company car, phone, lap top , London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Konica Minolta makes progress with B2 inkjet
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Wyndeham extends major print contract
- UK launch for Exaprint W2P service