CPI hails arrival of printed electronics in the pressroom
By Tim Sheahan Thursday, 12 July 2012
The Centre for Process Innovation (CPI) has finalised a £2m development that aims to broaden the reach of printed electronics.
The Integrated Smart Systems (ISS) facility, which is based at the group's National Printable Electronics Centre in Sedgefield, can deliver printed electronics in a traditional pressroom.
Central to the site's development is a £1.5m Nilpeter press, which can handle substrates in thicknesses from 25-370microns.
The machine was the focal point of a tender for a new printing press last year, in which the company required a narrow web reel-to-reel machine capable of taking paper, light cartonboard, plastics, unsupported films, foils and self-adhesive label stocks.
CPI said the printed electronics facility proves that commercially available technology is capable of producing electronics for applications such as point-of-sale material, toys, games and packaging.
At present, the production line at ISS can output demonstration units and printed electronic prototypes, which print firms, brand owners and creative houses can further develop.
ISS programme manager Bela Green said: "There is almost a limitless number of applications for interactive print, and as an open access facility, the ISS line represents an excellent opportunity for clients to become familiar with the technology before being trained on how to implement it.
"Alternatively, they can utilise the expertise that CPI has on offer and allow us to lead on projects – it is a flexible set-up that can significantly benefit companies looking to capitalise on printable electronics."
In addition, CPI is running a workshop for north east-based SMEs on 19 July in a bid to introduce businesses to the technology and its development potential.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Executive (Home based) Key Recruitment £40K ( negotiable ) plus commission plus car and mobile, Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, company car, phone, lap top , London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Konica Minolta makes progress with B2 inkjet
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Wyndeham extends major print contract
- UK launch for Exaprint W2P service