Johnston Press set to close Peterborough printing facility
By Hannah Jordan Tuesday, 12 June 2012
The regional newspaper group has announced plans to close the city's Oundle Road printing press, which produces the Peterborough Telegraph.
The move, which will put 35 jobs under threat, comes just weeks after it was announced that the paper was one of five dailies produced by Johnston Press to become weekly publications, as part of a shake-up of the regional publishing group.
The company said publication of the paper would continue to be carried out at any of its print plants across the UK. Johnston Press has four remaining sites at Sheffield, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Carn, Northern Ireland.
A company spokesman said: "Our other presses have the capacity to take on work from the Peterborough site and in the current climate it is a sensible business decision to look at consolidating our print operations."
The story on the Peterborough Telegraph website said the move followed a review of capacity across the company.
A final decision on the closure is expected at the end of the month.
The proposed closure comes four months after the regional publishing firm announced the closure of its Leeds printing press, with the loss of 25 jobs.
Earlier this year, as part of an overhaul of Johnston Press’ titles, chief executive Ashley Highfield announced that all of the publisher’s 170 titles would be relaunched during the course of 2012 with new websites and iPad editions being created for the larger publications.
In April, the company recorded a pre-tax loss of £144m for the year ending 31 December 2011, citing a cut in the book value of its newspapers.Tweet
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Print Buyer Pyramid Consultancy Ltd £25,000 - £30,000pa, company car, phone, lap top , London
- Print Estimator | Exhibition & Display Print | North West Mercury Search and Selection £25k , Manchester
- UK Sales Manager | Self Adhesive Labels | UK - Home Based Mercury Search and Selection £32k-£40k + Attractive commission structure, pension, life insurance, car, laptop & smart phone , UK - home based
- Account Director - Reprographics/ Mail Room - London asg Up to £45,000 + bonus + benefits, London
- Sales Executive - Large Format/Signage Future Recruitment Ltd £25K -20 DAYS HOLIDAYS= Mobile plus commission, West Midlands
- UPDATED: St Ives hits the acquisition trail again
- HP Indigo users team up for mammoth Coca-Cola task
- Swiss Post acquires Pitney Bowes' UK and Ireland management services business
- Konica Minolta aims to add value with web-to-print deal
- Warwick Printing Company to install UK's first Speedmaster SX 102
- Konica Minolta makes progress with B2 inkjet